1. Tell us about your creative business and the story of how you started making and selling.
Being a full time artist is a whole lot of fun!
A few years ago I started my little company out of my garage, just like most people and had no idea what I was doing. Struggling for space, I just wanted to design and build fun items after a lifetime of designing and building for others, I finally made the jump to artist and never looked back.
When I opened my very first shop, it was just my dog and I every day. I did all jobs from creating art, organizing the shop, writing all emails to scrubbing the toilet. As demand for my beautiful art increased I found other talented and crazy artists who share my vision. Surrounding myself with fun, positive people and dogs to create world class art and designs.
Our shop is located in the heart of wine country and is a one of a kind place. Not a lot of shops have disco balls and water gun stations and we have so much fun its like a bunch of five year olds with power tools. Everything we create is made to order so its the perfect fit for your home or business and we are proud to be 100% green and made in the USA.
2. 3 tips for sellers who are just starting out selling on Etsy.
- 1 LOVE what you do. Period. It will show in your work and art.
- 2 Don’t be afraid to try and fail. Get up and try again. And again. And again. Until you find the perfect product for your audience. You never know what will be a home run. Sometimes I will design a product and think its amazing and everyone will want one, then no one buys it. Other times I will just tinker around building a weird prototype and just put online to find I cant build them fast enough when it sells out every day.
- 3 Be patient. Its harder than you think. Success does not happen overnight and when it does, its much harder than you think.
3. What is your largest source of traffic for your shop?
4. list 4 of your favorite items and tell us why you LOVE to make them!
Oh boy! I have over 4000 unique products and if I have to choose 4, these would be it:
- 1 Wall mounted cat bed
My cats LOVE it and I have a bunch of them at the shop and at home and they are always full of cats. Its very rewarding to make something that is loved by animals.
- 2 Wall mounted barrel cork holder
Like most people, when we drink wine at home, we have a collection of corks that collect in a jar. This is a brilliant way to hold and display them and its very fun!
- 3 Old Vine Tables
Its a pure expression of functional art. Organic. Its taking raw vines and making them into finished art. No one else in the world does it and it takes all my years of experience to make them come to life. Each one is different and I never know exactly how it will look when I start.
- 4 Wall Sconce
Combining wine barrel, wine barrel ring and wine bottle together in a unique way to create something beautiful and functional is just very rewarding.
5. How has your success selling on Etsy changed your life?
It’s allowed me to push my art and develop my skills even further than ever. Designing and building new art and products every day is a dream come true! We are getting ready to purchase land with a new shop where we can expand and bring people to learn skills. Woodworking, welding, sewing, electrical, drawing, and more….. a place where you can grow and learn skills so you can go out in the world and make a living doing something you love.