How to Navigate the New Facebook Fan Page Timeline (Tips for Fans and Admins)
Lots of new changes are in store for fans and admins as Facebook announced that every Fan Page will switch to the new timeline view at the end of March 2012. I am going to walk you through the important changes fans are going to see and admins as well.
Let’s start with fans!
Today’s example is from the awesome fan page of Uk Handmade! I have broken everything in to small bits size pieces… easier to digest!!
1. Now easier to find in it’s new location is the create a Page button. If you want to create a new page click this little guy and you are ready to start creating!
2. Here is where the quick time line navigation is located. If you want to know what was going on at a later time just click the year or month and the page will automatically scroll to that time period and show you what was happening then.
3. This where a Fan Pages profile picture is located. These are clickable. Most of the time you will find more info about a fan page with you click (hint hint admins!)
4. This is the name of the fan page, how many likers, and who is talking about the fan page.
5. Here are the tabs of the fan page. Look for welcome pages, photos, videos, events, etc. (Custom Facebook Tabs for Etsy Sellers)
6. Here you will find a small paragraph about the page. Most fan pages will have a clickable link to their site here.
A few more things to check out here:
1. On this pull down menu you can report the page, share, unlike, send feedback, and add to faves.
2. Now fans can message the fan page.
2. (should be 3!) Here you will see a little tab that you can click to reveal more tabs if a fan page has them
Now getting to the timeline where you will find all the posts
1. This little button is the key to viewing the content you want to see. You can check out the highlights, your friend activity, posts only by the fan page, and posts only by others.
2. Just like always here is where you can post your comments and add photos. Links will automatically pull info from a the page you are linking to.
3. Here are your friends that like this page.
4. Here are posts from others.
Where is that LIKE button?
The like button for a fan page you have not liked yet is located in a few spots.
On the front page of every fan page under the large cover picture you will find the like button. Below you will see Etsy’s Fan Page, they just a few fans!!
If you are scrolling down a fan page a tool bar will pop up that will allow you to navigate throughout the fan page’s tabs. A like button is also located there.
The next spot where you can find the like button is on any custom tab. (Custom Facebook Tabs for Etsy Sellers)
1. Tons of FREE Etsy tools, ebooks, and ecourses! (Custom Facebook Tabs for Etsy Sellers)
2. Here you will find our latest articles.
There are more awesome things in the works so keep your eye pealed!
New Timeline Admin Tips:
Large Cover Photo:
Make sure you have a good description with a link to your site.
Here is what Facebook suggests for your cover photo:
Use a unique image that represents your Page. This might be a photo of a popular menu item, album artwork or a picture of people using your product. Be creative and experiment with images your audience responds well to.
Cover images must be at least 399 pixels wide and may not contain:
- Price or purchase information, such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”
Your profile picture sits partly inside of your large cover photo. This is what shows up when you are posting and commenting on your wall and other pages when you are using Facebook as your Fan Page. You want to make sure you include info about your page on the actual picture. It is super important to add a linkto your site here as well . This will increase your traffic and give your fans another chance to click over to your site.
Tips from Facebook about Milestones:
Milestones are key moments you’ve decided to highlight on your Page. Milestones are automatically expanded to widescreen and are visible to everyone visiting your Page.
To add a milestone:
- Click Milestone in the sharing tool at the top of your Page’s timeline
- Add a headline, location, date and details for your milestone
- Choose to add a photo
- Click Save
From anywhere on your Page’s timeline, scroll to a spot and click to post a milestone or other type of story to a particular date.
Milestone photos display at 843 pixels wide and 403 pixels tall. At this time, January 1, 1800 is the earliest date a milestone can have.
1. Here you can talk about your even, set a date and even post a link.
2. Adding a picture to your milestone is a powerful way to get people interested. You can choose from an existing picture or upload a new one.
Here are two examples of milestones one is full width and the other is normal size.
Here is a great way to keep your hot topics at the top of your timeline.
Here is what Facebook says about pinning a post.
Pinned posts are Page posts that admins have chosen to display prominently at the top of their Page. A pinned post always appears in the top left of a Page’s timeline and has a flag in its top-right corner. A post a Page admin pins to the top of their Page will remain there for 7 days. After that, it’ll return to the date it was posted on the Page’s timeline.
New Fan Page Admin Panel:
The button to your admin panel is located at the top on the right hand side. Here you will find the latest activity , messages set to your fan page, new likers, and your insights. Facebook has also included a handy page tips section if you are looking for more info.
Using Facebook as:
Here is an important tip for spreading your brand around Facebook. When you are commenting on other fan pages, you want to be using Facebook as your Fan Page. Fans will see your Fan Pages profile instead of your personal profile pic. This can lead to more traffic and more fans.
There is lots to digest here and there is much more to cover. If you have any questions feel free to ask away!
Be sure to head over to Handmadeology’s Fan Page and give us a like!
We have been working on a little something!!!
An innovative app that will change the way Etsy sellers connect with fans, share branding messages, and promote with creative customized content.
Fanpageology – the science behind a successful fanpage, empowers you to interact with your fans in brand new ways, build brand loyalty, and is a cutting edge social media marketing tool harnessing the power of Facebook for Etsy sellers. Additional fans, greater fan interactions, and more sales will come knocking on your business’ door. . . . knock, knock, knock!
We are working tirelessly developing the features and want to keep you updated about our progress. Sign up below to be notified when Fanpageology makes promoting on Facebook more effective – providing you the formula to find your true voice and engage your fans at a whole new level with custom apps specifically designed for Etsy sellers.
Want to find out more? Head over to Fanpageology and sign up to get more info!
My friends Tracy & Robin of Flourish & Thrive Academy just announced a new 3-Part FREE business training series for jewelry designers. You’ll learn how to beat the feelings of stress and overwhelm and create true FREEDOM in your life! Register now so you don’t miss a thing!