Here is a quick interview with Taylor from SolForge. Taylor has been selling on Etsy since 2015 and currently has 19,214 sales!
Tell us about your creative business and the story of how you started making and selling.
1. I earned a degree as a blacksmith several years ago, and have been working in my local markets with various architects and builders. During that time, I started marketing a select few products online just for fun. I eventually found that they were selling and continued to invest in that side of my business.
3 tips for sellers who are just starting out selling on Etsy.
2. As the Etsy platform has evolved over the years, it is getting more difficult to make recommendations or to provide valuable input. 1) The most important thing I can say is to know your clients, and what they are looking for. 2) I would suggest reading and staying up-to-date on the Etsy Seller’s Handbook and policies. 3) Fill out all of the appropriate parts of a listing as best as you can.
What is your largest source of traffic for your shop?
3. Originally, promoted listings was a great source of traffic; however that has recently shifted during Etsy’s latest changes. Now, everything is about organic traffic and repeat business.
List 4 of your favorite items and tell us why you LOVE to make them!
4. As I am a hardware creator, all of my products are something I enjoy making. I especially enjoy making my knobs because they emphasize perfecting traditional elements. I also like making my hooks, as they are very playful in how they are created. The bottle openers and corkscrews are always fun, especially when making them during gift season.
How has your success selling on Etsy changed your life?
5. I have always wanted to shift to a mostly online presence, and Etsy has helped me a great deal with that. There will be new challenges that present themselves as things change, but it was a giant stepping stone for me. As I have a growing family (my wife is currently pregnant with our first), building my business to suit our needs has always been a must.