I confess: I’m a workaholic. Everybody that knows me, knows this about me. But I’ve also learned the hard way how harmful it is for my emotional + spiritual + physical health to put in perpetual hold my extracurricular activities like my pilates class + going shopping with my mom + lunching with my girlfriends + etc. Now, no matter how much work I have piling up in my studio, I know better I must figure out a way to find balance my life.
Here are a few tips + strategies that have helped me so so much to strike a balance between my work life + personal life:
1. Take lunch breaks. This one sounds simple, but it’s really a bit complicated. We all have to eat right? But eating in front of the computer is no eating ethic any of us should be following. Use your 1-2 hour lunch break to really sit back + relax. This is a great opportunity to cook a homemade meal + go out for a short walk + lunch out with your gals or any other activity that gets you to disconnect + vent.
2. Make appointments after work. Doing extracurricular activities outside the office environment is essential to the feeling of balance. Book a yoga class + cooking class + dance lesson + learn a new language + make appointments to see your friends. When we make plans ahead of time we are more likely to stick with them.
3. Establish your limits. Set strict bounds about when you will start + stop checking your BlackBerry messages + e-mails + Etsy convos + etc. Resist the urgency to stay connected 24/7. When we don’t establish clear limits between our professional + private life, we lose sight of balance.
4. Free days. Pick a day of the week to really disconnect 100% from all responsibility. I used to work everyday of the week with the excuse that work was crazy busy. Now I work harder during the week + organize my schedule so I can take my weekends off to go to the beach with my boyfriend. This has been the single best decision I have taken in my career. I feel happier + less stressed + because I organize my weeks so well to be able to leave for the weekend, I actually get more work done during the week. Listen to me please: get off your computer at least one day a week – you will thank me later.
5. Me time. Pick a moment in the day or week to really be by yourself + meditate + think about your week + write down your goals + dreams + read an inspirational poem + listen to your favorite tune. The time you take for yourself is sacred + extremely important for finding inner peace.
6. Make time for your body. Your body is your temple, nourish it by eating foods that are good for you + exercising regularly + sleeping your 8 hours. A healthy body is a happy body.
What do you do to juggle your work + personal life? How do you find harmony in your life?
Find this article originally on heartmade!