Writing Expert Product Descriptions for Your Etsy Shop
Great product descriptions are pivotal to engaging customers and helping them to understand what is so special about your product and why they need to purchase it. I have seen many product descriptions on Etsy that are either much too brief, leaving lots of unanswered questions or are very lengthy with unorganized information.
It takes practice to master the creation of a strong description. Below are some general rules of thumb:
- Give enough information for the reader so they are able to make an educated decision. Include any information that you think may be helpful: color, size, fabrication, why it’s unique, shipping materials (if fragile), etc.
- Be as specific as possible – use adjectives to describe features to help bring them to life.
- Don’t include so much information that the reader becomes overloaded. In general, people don’t like to digest large amounts of information. Multiple paragraphs are often too much and the content can get tricky to organize.
- Use bullet points to list features, with the most important features at the top of the list.
A good general formula:
1. Product name
2. 1-2 intro sentences
3. Bulleted list of features
4. Brief closing
Below are 2 good product descriptions. These are not for actual products – they are for example purposes only. The style and organization can be adapted to a wide array of product types
Product Description Example #1:
Handcrafted (Brand X) Natural Beeswax Candle
Enjoy the warm glow of this 6″ tall beeswax candle. Candles make a perfect gift for any occasion, as well as a warm, inviting addition to your home.
Benefits of beeswax:
- A natural, renewable resource
- Longer lasting than traditional wax candles
- Emits no harmful fumes when burning. In fact, beeswax is a natural deodorizer and air cleaner
Your natural (Brand X) pillar candle:
- Is made from pure beeswax from Southwestern US bees
- Burns clean and bright
- Is drip-less and smoke-less
- Measures 3″ across and approximately 6″ in height
- Has a cotton wick
- Weighs approx. 1 pound
- Is shipped in shredded recycled paper for protection
I hope you enjoy the quality and eco-friendly properties of your (Brand X) beeswax candle! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me
Of note for Product Description Example #1:
- Contains descriptive product name and includes your brand name (Brand X)
- Begins with a brief, descriptive intro
- Clearly and simply states the benefits of beeswax. It is helpful to weave benefits into your description wherever possible. Features (what it is) are important, but benefits (why they need it) trump features.
- Next is the list of clear, descriptive features. Notice the list begins with a possessive adjective (Your natural…). This makes it feel more personal and implies ownership.
- Ends with a brief personal closing
Product Description Example #2:
Odette Knitted Pencil Skirt
This tailored skirt is destined to be your favorite for work and play. A flattering fitted pencil skirt that will take you from day to night with ease. Cotton-spandex blend fabric for added comfort and season-less style. Sits at natural waist with side seam ruching at the hip; a little feminine detail that accommodates curves and accentuates your form.
- Cream and black herringbone knit
- 95% cotton 5% spandex
- 3″ waistband
- Back zip
- Falls below the knee (23 inches long)
- Fully lined
- Machine wash in cold water
- Dry flat
Hips 36 ½
Hips 37 ½
Hips 38 ½
Hips 41 ½
If you have questions about sizing, please feel free to contact me, I am happy help you
I accept custom orders, please convo me for requests
Of note for Product Description Example #2:
- Product is named (Odette) to romance the item a bit
- Begins with a descriptive benefit-oriented intro
- Next comes the list of clear, descriptive features
- Since this is a sized item, includes complete size chart
- Ends with a brief personal closing
- Other information: this is a great section to include any information that is not directly related to the item; custom orders, other colors, cross-selling, etc.
A great advantage to your Etsy store is the section for tagging and fabrication, which is just one more area to reinforce critical information.
Simple, organized and informative product descriptions will help your customers and will contribute to a better experience with your brand.
My friends Tracy & Robin of Flourish & Thrive Academy just announced a new 3-Part FREE business training series for jewelry designers. You’ll learn how to beat the feelings of stress and overwhelm and create true FREEDOM in your life! Register now so you don’t miss a thing!