Here’s a great interview with Marcin from ElephantWallet over on Etsy. He’s built an amazing handmade business from an idea for a wallet that solved a few issues that other wallets in the market did not!
Thank you very much for stopping by and sending me questions. My first lessons about Etsy was from your blog. Marcin
1. Tell us about your creative business and the story of how you started making and selling.
The company was founded in February 2013. I’ve always had a problem with traditional wallets. I carried them with my smartphone and keys. I wanted my wallet to fit in my jeans pocket easily. I came across the Kickstarter website on a Supr wallet. This wallet was my first inspiration. However, this wallet didn’t have a pocket for coins. So I decided to create my own solution that will be functional and maximally minimalistic. This is how E8 Wallet was created which compared to the first inspiration gained additional pockets for cards and banknotes and two small coin pockets. I am very proud of this wallet.
After creating the E8, I knew that it was quite a unique solution and at the same time I knew that there was a niche on the market to be developed. So I started thinking about creating at least several models of wallets that will share one common feature – they will fit in the pocket of jeans, i.e. they will be slightly larger than a credit card. A whole series of products made of various materials, minimalist, very roomy, was created and all fit in the jeans pocket.
2.3 tips for sellers who are just starting out selling on Etsy.
- you must believe in your products, use them and show it to the community that uses Etsy
- good product description and the best photos you can make
- quick answers to questions
3. What is your largest source of traffic for your shop?
Satisfied customers who leave positive comments and recommend products.
4. list a few of your favorite items and tell us why you LOVE to make them!
- E8 Wallet – maybe because this is my first product, it is very simple but at the same time very well-thought-out, it also arouses the greatest disbelief among the customer that despite the simple minimalist design it is very functional and roomy.
- N wallet carbon fiber – I use it myself and I value it above all because it has a unique solution, i.e. an insert key insert that allows you to carry, e.g. a key, memory card, 1-2 coins. So it has everything I need on a daily basis. In addition, carbon is a very exclusive and practical material, great in everyday use.
5. How has your success selling on Etsy changed your life?
Gave me great satisfaction that so many happy customers use my products allowed me to become independent of the corporation in which I worked, thanks to which I can work at my own pace, doing what I like in the slow business model.
It made me believe that I can do something out of nothing, be effective, and this allowed me to increase my confidence in myself.
I have more time for myself for my family and for my passions.